About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Wednesday 14 October 2009

Ooooh yum, mushrooms!!!

We are having a mushroom fest at the moment, just the other day we discovered a huge Parasol mushroom in the rear courtyard, when fully opened it was the size of a dinner plate... after much discussion by Jon (my brother in law) and me we decided it really was what we though and we cooked it and ate it..... fantastic!! we had the rest for breakfast... There are three more almost ready as well....
Also yesterday a friend told us she had mushrooms in her olive grove, upon investigation , again by Jon and I, we confirmed they were field mushrooms.... and quite a few too... again they didnt fancy eating them so I worked with a will and filled half a carrier bag full and we had them for supper last night... yummy... and there's still plenty more to come by all accounts...

### PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE EATING####

Yesterday was a real day of good things for me.. first the mushrooms and then I had a close encounter with a stork...
I was curled up on the sofa in the upstairs lounge reading a book, the double terrace doors in front of me were wide open, suddenly out of the corner of my eye a large bird loomed ... it got bigger and bigger as it came closer... our Dobermann Cola ran to hide behind the sofa as it headed for the open doors. I was frozen in amazement! It almost landed on our terrace, just managing to swoop up to the roof above at the last moment. There was quite a crash as it landed, I think we've cracked a tile or two up there...
I dashed downstars and yep it was sitting up on the roof... sadly Bonnie barked like mad , going bonkers to get at the huge thing... the absolute biggest bird Ive ever seen... It lifted off so majesticly and headed for the forest behind the house... wonderful...