About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Saturday 6 March 2010

Menu planning,

I havent really done it this week, (I usually start the plan on Saturdays) but we have plenty of food in store and freezer, I'll need to buy the usual, eggs, milk and cheese, but thats about it, oh and washing up liquid, but... after the last post I wrote about doing my bit, I may try experimenting with wine vinegar and lemon juice for washing up... I'll not tell Rik yet though as he gets wobbly about my ideas sometimes... If it works I'll tell him then, if not, he'll never know...

I made a big stew yesterday, with dried beans, veggies and a few slices of chorizo, last night we had it with roast potatoes, tonight we'll finish it off with some rice...
I have some beetroot so i'll make a beetroot suprise tomorrow, and serve it with rice & beans, and probably carrots, thats as far as I can think ahead at the mo.
I have loads of stewing beef in the freezer, I dont generally buy red meat nowadays, its expensive and not particuarly nice, but a local supermarket had an offer on and it looked excellent for a change so I bought a kilo, and we tried some, and it was as good as it looked, so I went back and bought another 4 kilos... yes you may cringe.. but it cost me only 2.99 a kilo. I ended up with 11 bags after I cubed it up. Each of those bags will feed four people easily, more with the addition of extra veggies if I need to, or make a meal we'll eat two days running... so for 15euros, I get at least 44 meals.... good value...well worth it I think. All things are good in moderation, and the small amount of red meat we eat at any one time is minor....
Im still trying to stick to as many one pot meals as possible due to the disruption to the kitchen, the worst thing is without the range, we've had to buy in bread.... the extra cost ... wow we'd forgotten how much we used to spend...
But thats at an end now, Im back to baking again this afternoon... and washing... wow, not being able to do any washing as without the drying rack above the kitchen range, the washing would just contribute to the cold damp feeling in the house, and not dry either... that kitchen range is such a huge part of our lives now, I didnt realise just how much untill we were without it for a week... wood is VERY low though. Again with all the wet stuff (Ive stopped saying the R word) we have wood, but its too wet to burn... now the range is back, I'll put some in the bottom warming oven to dry it every day...