About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Wednesday 2 March 2011

Stevia Herb... Sunshine and frost...

Ive just ordered via the internet some Stevia seeds. For anyone who hasnt heard of this herb before it originates in South America I think , and its often called 'sweetleaf ' sweetherb etc. Its supposed to be 300 times sweeter than sugar... with no calorific value at all...
I plan to attempt to grow it, dry it and use it instead of sugar in baking , and hopefully maybe even in my coffee. I use sweetners at present and hate the thought of the horrible chemical s Im putting in my body, but I just cant manage without the sweetness... sugar is high in callories as is honey... all costs money which we dont have... so do sweetners but at least they help my weight struggle...
Stevia is banned in somecountries apparently, the sugar industry have really clamped down and pushed governments to not licence it... it would ruin their businesses over night...
So... I'll let you know how I get on ..

The weather has changed a little, its still mild and sunny during the day, though not the lovely warm temps we had last week. But we've had frost again the last two nights...
Luckily the new veg I planted out is in a very sheltered place in the garden so isnt catching it.... yet...

We have a new helper arriving on Saturday, a hopefully big strong man to help Rick with more logging, I also want him to help me cleaning walls in the orchard, so I can get the last of the old vines trimmed and up on supports before the sap starts rising... they weep horribly if you trim them then ,...
I also would like a hand in staking out the herb garden dividers too... Im so desperate to actually do something out there .... Ive waited so long to get it up and running... I cant quite believe it will really happen this year