About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Friday 20 March 2009

Planting, planting planting...

The lovely weather continues, its gorgeous, yes I know its not especially good as it increases the threat of forest fires later in the year when we have such hot weather so early.... but I cant help it! Its beautiful....We are BBQing out on the terrace, eating salads... its just like summer in March....
The trees are now starting to leaf up and the grass is green again, all my spring bulbs have flowered and gone, even our vines are starting to bud up now....

The work in the veg patch continues, I spent two hours hoeing yesterday morning while it was cool, we now have 60 caulis in and flourishing, all the leeks, lettuce, and toms and peppers. The broads beans are 4 inches high and the peas shooting up way beyond that... all the beans are now coming through , another week and they'll be up and away... I love it... everything sprouting and looking so lush and fertile...
Just waiting for my squashes to get going and the okra and then Im done..... well the easy bit is anyway... the hard bit is keeping it all tidy and weed free. I generally spend 3-5 hours a day down there durig the main growing season... I love the peace and time to enjoy working on the land.
Work on the house has come to a halt again at the mo as Rik has had a few days work here and there helping other people, but thats finishing soon so he'll be able to crack on with the BBQ area for the cottage and complete the sun deck by the pool for them too.

I've had to stop taking Bonnie with me when I go for my early morning walk, I came across three lots of bloody caterpillars the other day all within a 50 yard stretch of path, she's good and doesnt seem to go near them (the vet says she remembers the last time) but I cannot take the risk, I couldnt carry her that far home by myself.... never mind only a another few weeks are the main threat will be over.

We are still trying to find time for wood collecting, we are still using the range for cooking, but only lighting it early evening just in time for the meal and then letting it go out, I hope to keep this up right into the summer till it gets too hot to bear doing it... It saves us a fortune in gas.

We are still not using the fridge, its not a problem even now its warmer, our cubby is stone built and still lovely and cool, later in the year I will need to use the cooler bag I think but Im sure we'll manage . The cost of electric we save is great, and if the weather stays like this, I'll be doing most small washing in the concrete tank in the garden so that will help there too. It seems daft to use the automatic when the tank in the yard works so well. But Im not doing that in winter!!! I see poor old ladies in the middle of winter with their hands in freezing water washing clothes....
well thats it for now.
Pat