About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Sunshine... and weeding...

Well the weather has stayed glorious, its been fine sunny and lovely and warm for well over a week  now, maybe even two... I lose track of time a bit during spring.
Our lovely Dutch guests left this morning, they have been with us a week and it seemed to fly by... such really nice people... and with a genuine interest in what we are doing here...
The warm weather is really bringing on the garden, I have a few tiny sprigs of corn showing this morning, and peas and beans too...
My Blackcurrant cuttings I took a few weeks ago on the off chance that a few would take are all doing excellently, all are growing, and some actually have flowers coming... alll 59 have taken well... so we just have to keep it up during the hot weather now... It just shows the books are not always right, I took the cuttings at completely the wrong time of the year and just stuck them in and hoped... also the books say it may take 3 good years before you get fruit... mine will fruit this year ... if the flowers are to be believed...
The odd potato is also poking its head up... I keep going and covering them again... in the hopes that it will work like earthing up...

This hot weather 26º today, means my seed house is working like a dream, I have to open it early in the mornings or else my seeds would cook... but I have quite a lot of squash seedlings popping up, and some of my herbs too...

The downside of all this heat , is that the weeds are making an early start too... I spent 3 hours weeding the cabages and lettuce yesterday... I also transplanted 50 lettuce seedlings... yep ... 50... they all grew... I often only get a handful that survive per packet... this year .. all have come on well so I have to plant them somewhere... there is still tons to come, so I'll be giving plenty away... lettuce soup anyone...