About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Wednesday 8 June 2011

My lovely veggies...

Just as a little boast for me... we've been picking and eating fantastic broccoli... its far bigger and better than my caulis... The picture shows some with a normal med sized onion... Five heads chopped filled a carrier bag for the freezer...
Sadly we've had to dig all our spuds... even what was going to be our main crop. They had some kind of desease, the leaves turned yellow, then got brown spots and the plants died... its not blight, I know those signs. The potatoes are lovely, not marked, well formed and taste great, but they are just small. But we will have enough to feed us in 'new potatoes' for the next 2 or 3 months, so its not so bad... the problem is I stupidly forgot that potatoes and tomatoes are the same family and shouldnt be planted near each other... so our tom plants are showing signs of the same problem, we spayed with bordaux mix and seem to have halted the worst of it for the toms... but have decided to plant a few new toms away from that area just to be sure, toms are such a huge part of our winter food supply...
This year isnt great for beans either, but Im continuing to plant all the time, so hopefully it will all come out well. The peas are great compared to last year, double the amount I hope...
The squashes are coming on very well... we have sp many different varieties this year too, I have high hopes of a bumper crop...
The  sweetcorn is almost as high as me, and looking good...
Alik has taken my plans home with him for building a hand made grain mill... and has promised to bring a completed model next year... so Im all excited and will save lots of seed and plant a huge amount in anticipation.... then I'll have my own ground corn for cornbread etc...