About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Sunday 19 June 2011

Stevia Herb Update.

Well.... it wasnt a great success, the trying to grow my own plants... It actually wasnt a success at all... I managed to buy 40 seeds, so far Ive potted up 20 of them, in batches of ten at a time.... nothing... nada... zilch... I really thought I would be able to germinate them with it being so warm and humid here...
I have another batch Im going to try this next week at its turning warmer still...
But in the mean time, I saw the lovely German lady that told me about the Stevia herb originally and she sold me some for a couple of euros, its the green Stevia which is dried ground up leaf ... Im trying it in tea... it is defo MUCH sweeter than sugar... I use around just less than a third of a spoonful... when normally I would take three sweetners in coffee... so its much sweeter, it does have a very unusual taste... and I could understand if some people didnt like it... I didnt the first few mouthfuls... but I persevered and I think I could become accustomed to it in time... In coffee.... hmmm not sure... Im trying tea and then will work up to it... all the time telling myself.... its calorie free.... its calories free....
It does actually have a sort of chemical taste... which is strange... but thats more pronounced the more you use, so less is defo best in this case.
You can buy a refined Stevia liquid, which is supposed to be better than the green, but I really want to grow it, so getting use to the green leaf type is right for me...