About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Saturday 17 September 2011

New Ideas for Cabbage Recipe...

We have a bit of a glut of Red Cabbage at the mo, my lovely friend Marianne, suggested this... and we love it! I served it up with pork chop and potatoes and green beans...

one med red cabbage, shredded.
One large onuion sliced
One large cooking apple peeled and sliced finely  (I cant get cooking apples so used three med eating apples. )
3 cloves.
3 teaspoons of sugar.
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar. I used red as I had it...
And 1/4 pint of chicken stock.

Put all the ingredients together in a ovenproof dish and cook gently for around a couple of hours, the dish must be tightly sealed so the liquid doesnt escape and dry it out. It will cook in ts own juices and be absolutely delish....
We had some left, I chilled it and served it up with cold meat as a kind of pickly... the next day... lovely