About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Thursday 24 March 2011

Frugal Living Tray bakes.

As we try not to buy shop bought/made cakes or biscuits, I generally make Rick a couple of sweetie type things a week. Im more a savoury person myself but he does love his sweet stuff during winter. Its a comfort food type thing I suppose.
This tray bake it a cheap but tasty alternative to a time consuming cake making.

Mix together in a bowl, 8 oz s/r flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, two tablespoons of cooking sugar, and a handfull of dessicated coconut(optional I use cos he loves it) Rub in 2 oz of cooking margarine.
Then add a dash of milk and mix to a firm dough.. you may need to add extra flour to stop it being sticky.
I then roll it out to fit my roasting tin.
Put in a hot oven for just about 6-8 mins... till light brown.
Meanwhile, I melt a large dollop of either jam, golden syrup, honey etc ... whatever I have most of...
As soon as the bake comes out of the oven, mark into squares with a pallette knife, brush with the melted sweet stuff and sprinkle with more coconut...
Lift each square onto a cooling tray while still warm...
The possibilities with this recipe are huge...
Ive even topped it with lemon juice and icing sugar when I had no jam...
Ive added old milkshake flavering when I had some left over...

It takes minutes to prepare and bake ... sadly generally only lasts the day...