About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Saturday 26 March 2011

Planting Begins... In a big way..

Just as we planned to begin our main planting marathon this weekend... its raining..
Our lovely neighbour from the next vally has again promimsed us seed potatoes, up untill last year we didnt plant many, as the cost to us is a huge outlay, and we felt we didnt eat that many to warrant it... hehehe then he gave us lots... and we were eating our own new potatoes in June and justt kept digging for ages... we had our own spuds for half the year and it was fantastic! They tasted so different and better... I, who am not a great spud lover... ate them every day... they fed our helpers and us for months...
So when he offered them again this year... we jumped at the chance. As he's a widower, we kept him supplied with fruit and veg last year in return for the spuds and it worked well. They are not bought seed, so where they come from I dont know...
As soon as the rain stops, we'll be down there, digging... Im planning two spud areas, one for new spuds in the squash area, and as we dig them the squashes nearby will have room to grow and spread...
The main crop will go in the back yard with the corn, tomatoes and strawberries.
This year we will have three large patches orf corn, as last years was so beautiful and sweet, Ive managed to aquire another two packets plus some seed I saved from the last years that I dried myself.
The main planting will begin as soon as possible, peas, carrots, beets, herbs, then the corn and beans, we have lots of different ttypes again this year, some lovely Heritage climbers sent to me by the lovely Minx who read my post on how the bugs ate my beans and sent me a pressie... bless her!
Plus a few of my own runner beans not munched on, some portuguse dwarf green beans like runners but they stay small, french beans, yellow waxy pods, and some Im going to grow for drying and freezing.
My 60 blackcurrant cuttings I took a couple of weeks ago, all show signs of life still , so hopes for a huge amount there are high... I just have to keep them alive through the summer...
The tomatoes, aubergines, and peppers and chillis will be planted out about mid april, after we feel frost has passed... Ive been caught many times before..
I'll continue with planting lettuce from the seedbed, plus the odd packet of rocket and salad leaves all summer, and as soon as this lot is all in the ground, I'll put in a few more cabbage caulis and brocc, as the ones I put in almost a month ago are going great guns now...
So... the best season is almost upon us... I cant wait...