About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Tuesday 9 February 2010

Spring... is coming!

The weather although still rainy at times has turned lovely and mild, and when the sun shines its really warm. I spent yesterday afternoon humping rocks from the herb garden patch, today I'm having a break as my knee is playing up a little. Trouble is with me, my head and determination to get stuff done is stronger than my body... my knee is an old injury that pops up whenever I overdo it... so Im being good and resting it so I can be fit to work in the veggie plot this summer..
We know that spring is on the way, the wildlife is showing up everywhere at the moment, yesterday I saw what I think was a Pinemarten, Rik, the lucky sod saw three deer drinking from the stream at the bottom of our land, two females and a very young one... now maybe he believes me that last summer I saw a huge stag in the forest! He pooh poohed it then...The woodpeckers are hammering away all the time now too and we've tons of finches and tits around the place too...

Last night we hacked all the old plaster off the kitchen wall, what a mess... we now have a fine white powder than completely covers the whole house... I have that to clean up when I finish here... oh joy....
I just keep telling myself how good it will be when its done....