About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Thursday 23 September 2010

Bean Burgers

No pictures today, sorry. I forgot to bring the camera into town with me. I just popped in for a few moments as Im cooking and preserving again today, madly just trying to get it all over and done with...
I'll be making a last batch of pasta sauce.... hehehe are we going to be sick of pasta this winter or what!!
Good wholesome food.... made from fresh pure veggies though...
Right. Im also making a batch of my Bean burgers for the freezer, forgive me if this recipe is already on here somewhere... I dont remember ...
Again, I dont actually measure anything, so quantities are a bit vague, but you can adjust to your own tastes...

I half fill a large litre and half jug with dried beans, I use a good mix of different beans and green lentils or split peas depending on what I have. Fill jug with water and leave over night to soak.
Next day drain and put in a pan with fresh water, a couple of bay leaves, a couple of garlic cloves and some dried herbs of your choice.
Cook till soft. .
Drain, and put in a LARGE bowl. Then mash slightly, should be soft but still a bit lumpy,  then,
 add ;

2-3 large handfulls of oats, dont skimp!
A finely chopped medium onion.
1 small tin of sweetcorn or equivelent fresh kernels if you have it..
A good grating of cheese, at the moment Im using Parmesan cos I have it, but any good strong cheese will do... not too much, its meant to enhance not make them cheesy flavour...
A couple of beaten eggs .
Seasoning of your choice, I use thyme and a dash of dried sage as I have my own.
Salt & pepper.

This should be a bit soft now... add flour . wholemeal is good... white works just the same...
while they are still tacky... in a bowl put a little more flour, with seseme seeds and I use flax seed too.. form rounds with your hands of mixture, roll in the seeds and flour and make burger shape...
My mix usually works out to be around 30 burgers.. I open freeze them on a large tray then pack into bags .
Fry from frozen... takes a few mins... and costs pennies...