About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Saturday 18 September 2010

Chutney...

Well this morning I picked all my last lot of tomatoes, all the ripe ones as well as the green ones. I had a washing up bowl piled high with green ones and have a few apples, some marrows and some dried fruit and tomorrow I'll make chutney... mountains of it! But we do love it with cold meat or cheese and as there are next to no beets this year for pickles then chutney will have to do...

I'll probably roast the remaining red toms for puree, as Ive already started using mine and its so yummy...

Ive made lots of chilli paste too, with still more chillis left to pick than have already been used, quite what I'll do with them Im not sure. They are the tiny piri-piri kind, but extremely hot, as I found to my cost, I was told by 'someone' the way to test a chilli for heat is to cut it and just tap it on the tip of your tongue.... stupid Pat, stupid, stupid stupid Pat.... its a long way to the tap when your mouth is on fire you know...

Doesnt my range look lovely and clean and shiny... I didnt clean it for the pics but it really does shine... Im impressed... It wont look like that after Ive been cooking on it all day tomorrow... Im a really messy cook...