About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Monday 31 January 2011

Frugal Living, Making Bacon results.

Well we did it... it wasn't an absolute complete success, but we ate it for lunch and it wasnt bad... the trouble was we dont generally take salt with much at all, and not in cooking ever... and this seemed very salty to us. It was edible though and we will defo make some more soon I just need to play around some with the mix.
I got the recipe from a thread on Self sufficientish , a website that you can finsd a link to on our 'friends' links on here . The forum they have there is an excellent place to find out all kinds of things you never realised you needed to know...
Right.
What I did...


I bought a piece of belly pork, about 12 ins x 12ins ... and washed and dried it well. In a bowl I put one large handful of sea salt and equal measure of cooking sugar, here its açucar amarelo. A sort of golden sugar... lovely stuff. I then rubbed the mix into the meat as much as I could, paying special attention to the cracks and crannies...
Then I folded it as my tub I had was too small, and sealed it in a plastic ice cream tub... and left it a few days, 2-3 is about right...
Drain the juice off and re rub. do this every 3-4 days for three or four times. The meat should go hard.. if there are any soft spots make sure you rub them with more mix. After around two weeks or so, drain, and then rinse well. Leave in a cool place to airdry... I put mine on a cake drying rack in a cool cupboard for three days...
For my next lot, I'll add a bit more sugar and less salt... I think its a trial and error thing, to personal tastes.