About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Pasta sauce. Frugal Living.

Well as the weather is looking at giving us some of the wet stuff for a couple of days I thought I'd best come in and update this while I can, cos if its pouring tomorrow I'll stay home by the fire...
Well Ive been checking on my Pasta sauces, we made them last August & September, well Rick made the august ones as I was in Ireland with Dad. Ive been really pleased with how they worked out, a few people actually said they would go off, as I dont do all that faffing about with boiling the jars up after sealing them etc..
Well I can honestly say, so far, almost 6 months on since we made most of them... they are all fine and lovely... I opened another one yesterday and blitzed it to make soup for lunch and it was great, tonight Im opening a different batch as its a different flavour(basil & sage) to make a baked Pasta. And this year I have huge plans.... for tons more. I still have around 27 jars left of my stores so its going well but I plan to sundry a lot, make even more roast tomato puree and the pasta sauces too...
They are so handy for sticking in a lot of things for quick meals when we've been working...
Boil some pasta add some sauce, a grating of cheese on the top, a few buttered split rolls with garlic sprinkled ontop toasted in the oven... hey presto healthy veggie pasta and garlic bread... add a salad and yummmm.

I use it with a handblender for soup, add it to stew if Im short on fresh veg, add it to a few other veggies as a base for spicy veggie stew with rice... oh theres tons of ways to use it up...

Just in case anyone missed it before my basic recipe is ...

Im as big a pan as you can...
Chop roughly as many toms as you want ...a big glug of good olive oil, add a good handfull of basil or any herb you like, I use all kinds for different tastes..
I then add chopped onion, and let it all simmer down to a juicy pulp... add a sprinkle of sugar if thats the taste you like ...
For tomato sauce I then blend it roughly with the wizzer, and pour into hot sterilised jars. Cover with a layer of olive oil put lid on tight and leave to cool. Label and date.

For Pasta sauce I add all kinds of extra veg I have a glut of at the time, chopped green beans, aubergines, peppers, courgettes... etc... and just proccess as above... yummy...