About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Wednesday 26 January 2011

Frugal Living - Cheats Baked beans.

Well to be honest, my recipe doesnt involve baking the beans...
I soak my dried beans overnight, we prefer a combination of white beans and the blackeyed beans.

I then cook them till soft, with an added bayleaf & garlic clove but no salt as it hardens beans before they are cooked. Drain, then set aside .
Meanwhile, I open a jar of my homemade tomato sauce, or Pasta sauce,(a bought jar of passata would do if you had it) blitz it till smooth with the blender, pour over the beans , stir well and return to gentle heat for flavours to meld well. Maybe add a little sugar to taste. Pour over bread or toast... yummy.