About Me

We moved out to Portugal to live a frugal but better , simpler and peaceful life, our house is a very basic, semi ruin, up in the hills outside Figueiro Dos Vinhos, where we work our land, enjoy life with each other and our dogs, and hope to make the smallest carbon footprint we can,

Saturday 15 January 2011

Sunshine & Planting ...

Well its another lovely day, Ive checked the forcast and apart from the odd blip here and there with a showery day, its set to stay nice for the next ten days or so. The temps are good too, mid 50s most of the time. Im not sure what this is for you lot out there who do it the other way... around 15-16 degrees or so I think. Mild and warm in the sunshine, thats the important thing.
So, I have a packet of cauli seed , a packet of carrots some garlic that is shooting, and some onion seed and Im going to see if I can make an early start. All say they are suitable for early planting... So we'll see.
I so look forward to the planting time of year, its such a positive time...

I'd like to say thank you to Heiko, over at the Path to self sufficiency blogspot , who sent me a lovely parcel of herb seeds that arrived yesterday, Im so looking forward to making the medicinal herb garden this spring... We just have to make a path for Rik to get hermann up there to cultivate it...

Today I had a bit of a blow to my hopes of cutting down on buying seed this spring . I went to look at all my saved bean seed, and all has weevil or something in it...little jumpy things that look like fleas, and all are covered in tiny holes. They were sealed in plastic containers, so the little buggers must have been in the beans when I sealed the containers... Im not sure how to counteract this... as I dont know what they are or how it happened... The bean plants were good strong and healthy and gave an excellent crop, we ate them and they were lovely, so where do the little buggers come from?